Tuesday 14 October 2014

2014 IMWC Race Report - A Very Special Day

So first off I should apologize for taking a few extra days to actually sit and right my blog. I was mentally, physically, and emotionally drained following the race on Saturday. I needed to spend some time with my family and enjoy Cdn Thanksgiving Hawaiin style with my amazing support crew.

So now I'll get on with the race report...

My goal(s) going in were:
1. If everything went perfectly 9:15 (1:05/5:00/3:00)
2. If the conditions dictated then just beat my time from 2012 (9:35)
3. If I was having a rough day then just go sub 10hrs
4. And if all hell broke loose then the goal would be to just finish

I woke up on Saturday morning just before 0400hrs and had my usual breakfast of a coffee, a bagel with jam, a couple eggs, and a glass of orange juice. I had been struggling with a bit of a stomach bug in the last two weeks leading up to Kona and race morning was no exception. I didn't want to use that as an excuse as I suspected it might just be a case of being extremely nervous given my blow-up from last year.

After breakfast was down-range I finished up with my race nutrition bottles and then headed downtown with my dad. I was thankful to have dad with me as it meant Claudia and the kids could sleep in a little more. Body marking and weigh-in were relatively quick and as always the volunteers were positive and uplifting. After I was through I set up my bike and dopped off my frozen gel flask for my run bag. I found a nice quiet place and then just relaxed.

The Male Amateur Swim Start (photo credit FinisherPix)

Swim
The swim start was a little different this year given that the male and female amateurs had separate starts. The male amateurs started at 0650hrs while the female amateurs started at 0700hrs. I started about 4 or 5 rows back and about half way to the right of the large TYR marker. My goal going in was to just try and have a steady swim and try and grab a good pair of feet. I was optimistic that I could swim ~1:05. When the cannon went off for my start I was surprised at how quickly the field opened up and there was virtually no contact (this was the cleanest start I have ever experienced). I settled into a steady effort though I didn't get much of a draft on the way out. At the turn around I found a set of feet and was able to stay glued to them for pretty much the last 1500m of the race.

I was honestly a little disapointed when I came out of the water and saw 1:10 on my watch. (Actual time was 1:10:31). Following the race I checked my 910xt and it had measured the distance as 4265m. So given the extra 300m+ I was right where I had expected. At this point I realized that unless we had a fast day on the bike Goal #1 was probably not realistic today.

Bike
Through transition and onto the bike. It was quite congested initially and I was definately not feeling great. My stomach felt upset and I suspected it was from a little salt water ingestion during the swim. I struggled initially to hit my target power numbers so I told myself to just relax and settle in for the first hour. I went to water at the first aid station and slowly my stomach started coming around, though I felt terrible. I was making great progress on the bike, but shortly before Mauna Lani I was reminded of how quickly the winds change. We were getting pounded by the wind and it only got worse as we climbed towards Hawi. By the time I got to Hawi my stomach had settled and I felt like I could start riding a little harder. The descent from Hawi was crazy fast as I enjoyed a tail wind. However that tail wind was short lived. Shortly after Hapuna Beach the wind flipped and I was once again riding back to Kailua-Kona with a headwind.

With the exception of about 1hr of riding (the descent from Hawi up to just past Hapuna Beach) I felt terrible. However what kept me pushing was the realization that I could still probably bike sub 5:10. This was significant for me as this is what I had biked in 2012. (I biked 4:50 in 2013). It also meant that a Kona PB might still be in the works. Bike time 5:07:14 | Power (avg) = 194W | NP = 200W | VI 1.03. Power meter is a Quarq ELSA.

Biking on the Queen K (photo credit FinisherPix)
Of the three years I have raced Kona, this was by far the hardest bike conditions. I struggled throughout the bike with overheating.

Run
Transition was slower than I would have liked, but I realized taking time to apply sunscreen and use the washroom were both important. Out on the run I immediately felt very good. I tried to just run easy and avoid pushing the pace. My thought process was to run the first half in 1:30 (4:16/km) and then to reassess. I held myself back on Ali'i drive and focused on cooling my body at each aid station with ice and water and consuming coke, perform, and water. I went through the first half of the run in just over 1:30 so knew I was right on pace. Despite some cloud cover, although still hot, I felt like I was overheating and the only relief from the heat was the ice and water that awaited at each aid station. The energy lab was a completely different beast. The run in was fine, but I knew I was hitting my limits. Everything was starting to tighten up. Just before the turn around I saw Reilly Smith and shortly thereafter Brad Williams (retired USAF) - both were heading back out of the energy lab. I finally caught up to Brad and was just about to settle in to run with Brad when he said something along the lines, "Congrats - the military championship is yours" we shook hands and then he said, "go get it." (I was a wreck at that point so this entire conversation may have completely transpired in my head)

Running through the Energy Lab (photo credit FinisherPix)
I mustered a little extra energy and set my mind to pulling Reilly back in...another few hundred meters up the road I caught and passed Reilly. I wasn't sure what I was going to do for the rest of the run...I was really struggling to hold it together. Despite wanting to walk I mustered everything I had to just hold it together for the remainder of the run up the Queen K. I made sure to stop at each aid station and get the required ice and water to keep my body cool. Of course the final kick up the hill before Palani was a real killer...however knowing that a descent and then the finish awaited was enough to muster me onwards.


Final run time 3:04:59...another BQ! Still no sub 3hr marathon but I guess it'll just have to wait.

Final Time: 9:30:16 - A new PB in Kona on a tough day.

I was 138th overall including the Pros, Top 100 Amateur and 25th in M30-34.
Finisher Pic (photo credit FinisherPix)

I actually didn't find out until the next day that I had won the military division. This was the first year that the military division was international and not just American Military personnel. 
Samantha Morrison (USAF) and me receiving our awards (1st Male/Female in the Military Division)

An award I will always cherish.  


Thanks to my amazing wife, Claudia, and my three blessings Ruth, James, and Klara for supporting me through another wonderful year in pursuit of racing in Kona. Thanks to my family (especially dad + mom), friends, supporters, and sponsors for standing beside me for another year.

It was truly an honour to race in Kona. It is a race like no other and one that is always special.

Battle Scars from Kona!



4 comments:

  1. Joel - well done! Incredible finish for you on a tough day, and your determination to keep plugging away even though you weren't feeling great is impressive. Enjoy some much deserved rest and recovery time, and extra time with your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great race report Joel! You made the entire CF Tri community proud of your performance. One question - did other swimmers with a Garmin under the cap also measure a 4200+ swim, did you zig-zag a bit, or do you think that it was it a measurement anomaly from having the 910 on your wrist? John McManus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John. Having raced with a 910xt for the past two years I have found it to be fairly consistent. (Swims are generally within about 5%) and rarely under the prescribed distance. I reviewed my track and there are a few little zig zags but nothing that would account for 300 to 400m extra of swimming. That being said Kona is typically a slower swim.

      Delete