Monday 7 October 2019

D-5 to the 2019 Ironman World Championship

Claudia and I on our way to Hawaii!
So it's that time of year again. In a few short days it'll be go time for the 2019 Ironman World Championship. This year I am one of four athletes from the Canadian Armed Forces that will be racing here on the Big Island. The other Canadian Armed Forces athletes are John Giguere, Vincent Blais (aka Vince the machine!), and our newbie Helene Fortier.


Quite the feast at the Fish Hopper (we splurged a little)
So this year the kids stayed in Canada with my parents while Claudia and I got an extended date. We left Ottawa on Friday and arrived in Honolulu on Friday night, spent the night, and then finished the journey to Kona on  Saturday. I was planning to put my bike together and go for a spin on Saturday but somehow my bike didn't make the flight from Honolulu so instead Claudia and I did groceries, visited friends - AJ and Lynn, went to the Fish Hopper for dinner, and then picked up my fellow CAF athletes from the airport: John and his wife Chantal and Helene and her husband Alan (Vincent had flown in on Friday). Thankfully my bike arrived later in the afternoon and Vincent picked it up for me.

Vince and I getting ready to head out on our Swim on Sunday!
Sunday I knocked out my last long run (90min easy/steady) and then Claudia and I headed to Kona Coast Baptist Church. This is always a highlight of the trip to Kona...it feels like a second home. It's great to see they've got a new pastor, Brian, and the church seems to be vibrant. After church we went out to L.L. Hawaiian BBQ for lunch with AJ and Lynn. Then it was back to the house to get Vincent for a swim at the Kona Pier.  We finished off the day with making Hamburgers for the crew.
Vince, John, me, and Helene all set to head out to Hawi

Monday we did an easy swim, then packed up the cars with our bikes, food, and beach gear and headed out to Hapuna Beach State Park. John, Helene, Vincent, and I biked out to the turn around in Hawi (70km round trip) while our support crews enjoyed the refreshing Pacific Ocean and the rays from the sun. Vincent and I rode together while John stayed with Helene to show her the route. Following the ride, we hung out at the beach for a bit and then headed back to the house in Kona.

Proof that Vince and I rode to the turn around in Hawi!

Vince and I returning to Hapuna Beach State Park!


Enjoying some reading on Leadership and rehydrating with F2C Nutrition after the ride!


1 comment: