Friday 13 October 2017

D-1: Light Activiation & Bike Check-in

Well today was filled with pre-race jitters as I'm honestly not sure what will unfold tomorrow. Training the last couple months has been less than ideal, but I'm still confident I can put a good race together - I just need to be smart. I think smart tomorrow means swimming strong, riding conservatively to the base of Hawi, pushing the climb, enjoying the descent, and then trying to ride steady back to Kona. On the run, the plan will be to ease into the run on Ali'i drive and take the opening out and back at a pace that feels easy. If I've got any legs then real push will happen coming out of the Energy Lab. Regardless of how things unfold tomorrow, I am out to have fun and really enjoy the experience.

I woke up this morning had a quick coffee and then headed out the door for a short activation ride on the Queen K. Directly following the activation ride I went for a short activation run on Ali'i. Once back to the house, I had breakfast and then headed out for a short swim. I would normally swim first, but the water was quite choppy this morning so I elected to let it calm down a little prior to swimming. I'm hoping that the water tomorrow is a litter calmer.
Stealth Steed is racked and ready to roll!
I tried to stay off my feet for the remainder of the morning. In the afternoon I had a short nap; then Alex, Claudia, and I headed down to the Pier so Alex and I could complete bike check-in. John was able to check his bike in earlier in the day as he had a lower number.

Alex headed back to the house while I did some quick shopping for the kids with Claudia. Now it's time to play the waiting game. I'm looking forward to having fun tomorrow and racing with the best in the world.

As the kids always remind me the race plan is simple: swim strong, bike hard, and run fast.
The final sunset before the 2017 Ironman World Championship!



No comments:

Post a Comment