Friday 12 October 2012

Kona Day 6

So today I only had one light workout to accomplish, checkout the expo, and attend the welcome banquet and athlete meeting.

Workout #1 - a light 20 minute swim at the Kailua Pier. I hit the water shortly before seven and swam out to the second buoy after the pier. On the way back I made a quick pitstop at the Coffees of Hawaii floating espresso bar and then finished the workout. The intent of the workout was just to get a little blood flowing, practice sighting, and do a little drafting. Total workout ~22 minutes and a little over 1km. Happy with the workout, I headed back to the Resort to spend some time with the family.

After spending a couple hours with the kids and seeing Nana was happy taking Ruthie and James to the pool, Claudia and I decided to tour the expo with baby Klara. This would be my first and only time taking in the expo as I wanted to stay off my feet as much as possible. We decided we'd do a quick tour of ~1hr duration and then head back to the Resort. There was lots to see at the expo but my main objectives were to see Compressport, Rotor, Quarq, and Specialized. It was great to see Rudi and Ryan at Compressport. I bought some of the Kona 2012 limited edition gear and they threw in some visors for free. There was a lot of neat stuff at the expo and of course lots of free shirts, hats, and visors. A big thanks to Travis at Louis Garneau for providing us with a bag and throwing in a couple of boxes of Gels...all because I was wearing a Grasky shirt (so I guess I should be thanking Brian as well!).
Me with Rudi at the Compressport Booth (Ryan is in the background)!
I took it very easy this afternoon, stayed off my feet, and actually caught a nap. Then it was off to the Welcome dinner and athlete briefing. Dinner was good, but as every other WTC dinner, overpriced. The entertainment was great with lots of Hawaiin acts, while the remainder of the evening was long and quite boring. Athlete briefing was delayed by almost 45 minuntes, but thankfully short and to the point which is always appreciated.
The Maley Clan at the welcome dinner. (Baby Klara is hiding)

Now it's off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment