Thursday 11 October 2012

Kona Day 5

So today consisted of two workouts - a morning swim and a bike to run brick.

Workout #1 - Woke up, had a breakfast and headed out the door. It was lightly raining at the Kona Coast Resort but in Kailua-Kona it was dry. I hit the water shortly before 0700hrs and did an hour swim with two out and backs. Seeing as the Catamaran from Coffees of Hawaii was on the water, I made a stop for an Espresso on my first out and back. The water was quite choppy this morning...more like a series of larger swells. I worked mostly on sighting and caught the occasional person's feet to practice some drafting. Total workout approximately 1hr and a little over 3kms.

After the morning workout, I headed back to the Resort to spend some time with the kids and prepare for my brick.

Workout #2 - Objective was to do approximately 1:15 on the bike focusing on race pacing and then a 30 minute run at race pace. I headed down Ali'i drive to Kailua-Kona and then did a quick out and back on Kuakini Hwy (I hadn't ridden this section of the course yet). Following that I did an out and back to the airport and then headed back to the Resort. Total bike duration was 1:30 and ~50kms. I felt very strong on the bike and race wattage felt quite comfortable. Downed half a bottle of Powerbar Perform and then headed out the door for my run. It was quite hot on Ali'i drive so I was very thankful that Gu and Powerbar both had aid stations on my route. Run duration ~30 minutes and 7.5kms.

Heading out for the bike portion of the Brick!
The remainder of the afternoon I spent with Dad and the kids as the ladies went on a shopping excursion. (I actually managed to get a short nap!)  And this evening I attended the Slowtwich gathering at the Musclemilk / Cytomax house where I met a few folks and Chrissie!
Me with the ever smiling Chrissie Wellington.

No comments:

Post a Comment