Sunday 7 October 2012

Kona Day 2

Day #2 in Kona is now in the books.

Workout number one of the day was to get my first swim in at the Kailua Pier. I hit the water shortly before 0700hrs. I did a leisurely kilometer and a bit out and then returned back to the Pier. There was definately a current as swimming back to the Pier was significantly slower. The water was crystal clear and there was only a little bit of chop. My new Nineteen Rogue SS Swim Skin was awesome. (Thanks to Wolfgang Guembel and Matthew Bonin at Endursport for ensuring I had one for Kona.) Total swim was forty five minutes.

Me sporting my sweet Rogue SS!
 After the swim I head back to the Kona Coast Resort and spent the rest of the morning with the family. We attended Kona Baptist Church in the morning.

After church I headed out to complete my second workout of the day. The plan was to run into Kailua-Kona on Ali'i Drive at race intensity (aproximately 15kms). (Essentially the out and back portion of the run course on Ali'i Drive). My legs felt great. I ran at a strong pace and slightly faster than my planned race pace. There were a few small hills on Ali'i, but not much. I ran into Matt Russell, a pro from the U.S.A. on the run. Compliments of the folks at Cytomax I had an aid station at approximately 20 minutes and again at 40 minutes. Aside: Cytomax and Musclemilk have a house rented on Ali'i drive and they have fresh coolers with drinks available throughout the day for free. Sweet! Total workout just over the hour.

Following the run I had some lunch and then hung out with my parents for a bit as domestic niner and the kids were still sleeping.

Workout number three of the day was a light ride out to the Queen K and then an out and back of thirty minutes. The road to Kailua-Kona was surprisingly quiet with only a few vehicles, cyclists, and runners...much quieter than earlier in the day. The ride out the Queen K was quite pleasant and I'm starting to get my bearings. I saw Chris Lieto (he's not racing this year due to injury) out on the course doing what I thought was a photo shoot. I contemplated stopping but wanted to get my ride in so I could get back and spend time with the kids. On the way home I of course stopped by the Cytomax house and picked up a Muscle Milk (my recovery drink).  Total duration just under two hours.

That's it for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment