Friday 12 October 2012

Kona Day 7 - Tomorrow is Race Day.

So today was the last day before the race. I'll be honest I'm getting a little anxious to race but feeling great.

Workout #1 - a light swim at the Kailua Pier. I hit the water at a little before 0700hrs swam out a little over 500m practicing sighting and a strong pull. On the way back to shore I stopped at the Coffee's of Hawaii Espresso Bar and enjoyed one last Espresso while wishing Albert Boyce(Mr. Coffees of Hawaii) all the best for the race. I then finished my workout. Total ~20minutes and a little over a km.

Headed back to the Resort and applied the finishing touches to my Shiv and then headed out for workout #2 my Brick.

Aside: For anyone interested my steed is a Specialized Shiv (M) with Sram Red (Black Derailleurs / R2C shifters), Specialized 170mm Crankset with a Cinquo Quarq Power Meter (head unit is an Edge 500)  54/39 Q-rings and Ultregra SL Pedals, Dura Ace 7900 11-23 Cassette, KMC X10SL Gold Chain,  Hed Jet 60/90 C2 wheels with Continental GP4000S tires, and a Specialized Toupe 143 Saddle. For hydration/nutrion I have a Profile Design Bento Box, Speedil A2 bottle between the aerobars, a Specialized Virtue Aero Bottle on the downtube, and a Hydro Tail with 2 x Specialized Rib Cages. There are some aero gains to be made in my setup and I'll be working that over in the off-season. For now I'm sticking with what works.

My race ready steed ready for battle!


Workout #2 - headed out for a light out and back 30 minute ride on Ali'i drive. I inserted a few race wattage intervals to keep the legs loose but fresh. I was feeling very good so had to keep reminding myself to back off on the intensity (a sign I'm getting too anxious). Returned to the Resort threw my Brooks Connects on and headed out the door for the second part of the brick. A light out and back run on Ali'i drive with once again a few race intensity intervals. Just as I was heading down Ali'i drive Crowie (Craig Alexander) was heading the other way on his bike. (I also spotted Caroline Steffen on her bike on both the out and back) At the Cliff House I stopped for a drink and then turned around and headed back to the resort. Once again I had to keep reminding myself to enjoy the run and just take it easy. Running on Ali'i drive is truly a treat as you get to enjoy the sites along the waterfront.

Spent the remainder of the morning at the Resort just staying off my feet and ensuring all my gear was prepared for the drop off this afternoon. At shortly after 1400hrs I head into town to drop off my bike and bike and run gear bags. It was very efficient process that took at most ten minutes. Trish led me through tranistion explained where everything was and answered my few anxious questions. Then it was back to the Resort to enjoy relaxing and calm my nerves for the rest of the day.

What can I say? I am a little anxious and nervous heading into the race - the anxiety is mostly from the ocean swim. Once that part of the race is over then I can really start my race. Until I hear the sound of the cannon I'll remain a little anxious and nervous but after that it's game on!

Jordan Rapp said it best in his post..."It's all over now except the suffering. Welcome to the hurt locker. Make yourself at home..."
 

1 comment: