Wednesday 10 October 2018

D-4 to the Ironman World Championship

So I am a little late to the party this year, but here it goes!

Here's a quick recap up to today.

Wednesday
Travel from Ottawa to Honolulu.
Westjet - Ottawa to Vancouver

Thursday
Travel from Honolulu to Kailua-Kona and settle into our house.
Interval Run. Every year I'm reminded about how hot and humid it can be here. The first few workouts are always the worst.

Arrival in Kailua-Kona


Friday
Light Swim
Pick-up Vince from the airport
Light Activation ride with Vince

Saturday
Long Bike ride out and back to Hawi. I felt terrible. I've been fighting a stomach bug since Tuesday and I really felt it on the ride. The ride out to Hawi was ok, but on the return trip I had to take it easy as I wasn't feeling well.
Saturday evening I picked up the rest of the Canadian Armed Forces Athletes and their support crews (less Alex - he arrived on Sunday night).

Sunday
90min easy run along the Queen K out toward the Energy Lab. Still not feeling great, but certainly better than Saturday.
And then one of the highlights every year - going to Kona Baptist Church.
Heading into Kona Baptist Church

Monday
Easy 40min swim
Drive out to Hapuna Beach State Park and ride out to Hawi and back with the Team.
Monday evening we hosted a Thanksgiving Dinner for the Canadian Armed Forces Team. Big thanks to Mom, Dad, and Claudia for doing all the work.
Ben, me, Vince, Eric, Alex, and John - Ready to head out to Hawi


Tuesday.
1hr Swim which included a return trip swimming with a pod of dolphins. I was literally surrounded by a school of 20+ dolphins. I could have reached out and touched them. This was totally cool.
Subaru Canada Breakfast - Lisa Bentley spoke and reminded us of the fact that we all have different decks of cards, but we each have to decide how we are going to play them on race day.
Registration complete and my souvenir mug purchased.
4iiii Photo at the expo - Can't say enough words of thanks to 4iiiis for providing all the Canadian Forces Kona athletes with a new power meter!
Brick - (1:15 ride, 20min run)
Parade of Nations - this is probably my favourite activity of the week. And having the kids here made it even more special. They loved handing out red and white candy during the parade.
All set for the Parade of Nations

That's it so far. Once again enjoying the experience an soaking in the energy here in Kona.

No comments:

Post a Comment