Monday 2 March 2015

Day 5 - 2015 CISM Triathlon Camp Begins

So today we kicked off the 2015 CISM Triathlon Camp. It was a fantastic day and yet in many cases a brutal day of training. It was a reminder of how much my swimming sucks, how much pain you can inflict on the bike, and suffer in the heat! That all being said it was a positive experience.
CAF CISM Triathlon Coach - Dave Harju
CAF CISM Triathlon Manager - Jason Lawton

Up first today was a trip to the NTC for our first pool swim. The pool was setup for short course and seeing as we are in the U.S. that means 25yds. The main set was 3 x 400 with #3 being an all out TT. I had the pleasure of sharing a lane with Lesley...who kicked my ass.

Lesley and I in the pool!
After the swim we had a couples hours to relax, rest, eat, and then prepare for the bike/run workout in the afternoon. Timings got crossed between the three houses (we have rented three houses side by side for the 18 athletes, coaches, and manager) and thus we ended up with three different start times. As it would turn out our house had a timing of 1215hrs, when the actual timing was supposed to have been 1300hrs. Seeing as I was already ready to go I elected to put an extra 20km of riding it prior to the start of our bike ride.

We rode to Lake Louissa State Park broke into groups and then did the ride. The ride was supposed to have been an 4 x (easy/moderate effort for 6min, 2min race effort, and 2min easy) and then 10 x 20s all out, 40s recover. We somehow managed to turn that into 6min at just below race intensity, 2min at an all out effort, and 2min easy. Least to say my legs did not like me.

After the ride at the State Park some people ran while others returned to our accomodations and ran. I did the later. The combination of the hard bike and heat had completed its toll on me and I was in pretty poor shape for the run.

Up tomorrow - a hard run, an endurance swim, and perhaps an easy bike.

So far everyone seems to be in good spirits!



No comments:

Post a Comment