Sunday 6 October 2013

A Day of Trg - D-6

So today was a very relaxing day with an intended objective of going to church with the family, an hour swim at Dig Me (the Ironman course), and finally a 3hr brick (2hr bike followed by an hour run).

I checked the swim off the list first thing in the morning. The water was crystal clear, relatively smooth, and except for a strong current it was perfect for swimming. When training for a race it's great to try and swim the course at the approximate time of the race. It allows you to get used to sighting at that time of day and it also allows you to observe the sun position. The swim back to shore was slow compliments of having to fight the current. Otherwise, the swim was uneventful and I was happy to be back on shore after a 3.1km swim. The best part about the swim is being able to see all the beautiful scenery as you swim.

Then it was back to the Kona Coast Resort for breakfast and then I went with the family to Kona Baptist Church. We had attended this church twice last year and really enjoyed the atmosphere as well as the biblically based sermon. So it was the obvious choice again this year. Objective number two complete.

Marc and I following the run.
After lunch I headed out for the brick with Marc Meunier. Though Marc and I had never met before, he has been swimming with the morning group at STARRT (St Albert Road Runners and Triathlon Club) that I had previously swam with when we lived in St Albert. So we know all the same people but we had never actually met. Seeing as we have similar strengths - good bike strength, and above average running skills - I was excited to be able to put a few kilometers in with Marc. (I don't think I will attempt to swim with Marc as he would most assuredly kick my butt). We did just over 70kms on the bike up Ali'i and then out on the Queen Q and then followed that up with 11kms of running on Ali'i. It was greatly appreciated having someone pushing a strong pace on the run.  Third objective in the books for the day (though the run was a bit shorter than the hour).

Up tomorrow: picking up my Rudy Project Helmet/Sunglasses and then spending the day with the family and perhaps a light swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment