Sunday 2 June 2013

Road Trip 2013 in the Books!



So the 2013 Road Trip is now complete with 11,800 km of driving in the books (that 11,800 does not include driving around the cities we visited). 

The route travelled during the 2013 Road Trip...all 11,800 km of it.
The Road Trip was a very enjoyable experience with all the goals being obtained. I do not often share my goals for the season, but I thought I would make an exception. It occurred to me on the return drive from Ottawa that all my goals for the 2013 season have been accomplished. I guess it is time to set some new goals for the remainder of the season. I like to define my goals using the SMART Acronym (Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timebound). So what were the goals?

1.  Go 9:15 at Ironman Texas – I went 9:09…check.
2.  Half-Marathon PB at CF Nationals – I went 1:13:42…check.
3.  Qualify for Ironman World Championships (@ IM Tx) and Ironman 70.3 World Championships(@ IM 70.3 St George)…check and check.  (This is not an ideal goal as you do not control who shows up to race)

As much as I like to race, by far the most enjoyable or memorable part of the trip was spending time with the family, meeting new friends, and of course touching base with old friends. I am not sure how she did it, but my wife managed to keep the kids entertained the whole time…that is pretty impressive in my books. The highlight of the trip was punching my ticket to Kona.

A rest stop to stretch the legs and enjoy a picnic.
Coming soon…the stable is now back full and my E-118 has a sister thanks to Argon 18 and Element. I will post and provide details of my new Argon 18 Gallium Pro in a few days.

3 comments:

  1. It was very nice to meet you !! I'm sure we'll cross path again !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel - congratulations on your recent accomplishments! Your performances are very impressive. I can't believe you ran a PB at the 1/2 marathon so soon after your amazing IM Texas! Your season is off to a fantastic start and I'm excited to see what the rest of the year holds for you. A big congrats to Claudia on her awesome 1/2 marathon achievement as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Hopefully the fantastic start will continue through the year.

      Delete