Sunday 16 June 2013

Chinook Half-Ironman Distance – Calgary, AB



So I had originally put the Chinook Half-Ironman distance on my race calendar as it has been the Alberta Long Course Provincial Championships for the last few years. Given that the race sells out early I had registered early and then when the Alberta Triathlon Association released their official Championship Race Schedule I learned that Great White North(GWN) would serve as the Provincial Championships. (Note to self…harass the ATA to release the Championship schedule earlier. Releasing the schedule in the new year is not cool especially when Chinook and GWN both generally sell out quickly and in the fall). Seeing as I was registered anyways I figured I would race, but treat it more like a hard training session.

We travelled down to Calgary on Friday and paid a visit to Element in Edmonton to pick-up a few items.  We attended the athlete dinner on Friday night and I was sadly disappointed. I had heard great things about the race and figured it would be of the calibre of GWN, I was mistaken. The dinner was average at best and the athlete briefing was useless.  I really appreciated the effort put forward by the Race Director and his staff (it was evident that they really cared about this race, but this was a foretelling of the race as a whole.) To attend an athlete briefing where the RD rambles off some useless information in a haphazard manner and cannot adequately explain the course because he failed to ensure the projector and computer were working in advance is clearly not kosher.

I woke up Saturday morning just before 0500hrs and made a quick trip to McDonalds for an Egg McMuffin and a coffee. I topped off my breakfast with a banana and then grabbed my gear and walked to transition for just before 0700hrs. We stayed at the Wingate by Wyndham in Midnapore which is literally a 5-10min walk from the race start and finish - that was pretty awesome. I setup my bike and gear, got my body marked and then got set for the race.  Claudia and the kids showed up just before the race start, which was awesome.

Swim
Ok, seeing being in Alberta in June you expect the water to be cold and it didn’t disappoint. Not sure of the actual water temperature but after a quick warm-up the water felt fine. I actually think Midnapore Lake was warmer than Ghost Lake at the end of July. (Ghost Lake is the Lake that is used for Calgary 70.3) Seeing as it was a pretty small field ~150 athletes, the swim start was very calm. By the time we hit the first buoy ~350m out the field had already spread out and I was swimming on my own. Probably not ideal to be swimming the course alone, but hey it allowed me to just focus on a long stroke with a powerful pull.  I finished the first lap rounded the buoy and headed back into the water for the second 1km lap. Just like the first, the second lap was uneventful and I didn’t pass a single person nor was I passed. I exited the water and was happy to see 33:0X on my watch. This was the first time I had swam faster than 1:40/100m in a triathlon.
Heading back into the water for the second loop.
Coming out of the water on the second loop.

Removing my Nineteen Rogue

Bike
Through transition, where I put on Compressport Bike Socks, Specialized S-works Road Shoes, and my Louis Garneau Vorttice Helmet, I grabbed my trusty Argon 18 E-118 Stealth Steed and headed out on the bike. I had just started to find my groove on Highway 22X as I crossed an intersection patrolled by two police officers. The officer on my side of the road motioned that it was safe and blocked the road, however the officer on the opposing side of the road didn’t realize I was coming and let an extra couple cars through. Thankfully I was paying attention and barely avoided getting T-boned. I shook off the incident and pressed on. At around 44kms into the bike I saw the lead male, Grant Burwash (a Cdn Pro who resides in Calgary) coming back the other way. I figured I was about 10-15minutes down to him and then made sure I counted the athletes coming back. I realized I was in 5th at the turn-around with Kyle Marcotte (another Cdn Pro who resides in Calgary) in fourth probably only 4-5 minutes up the road from me. I didn’t recognize either of the guys in 2nd and 3rd

On the way back into town the Olympic distance athletes merged onto Highway 22X with us. It was a disaster. I was passing people continuously for the last 20kms and it was clear this was the mid to back of the Olympic athletes pack. Instead of riding to the right of the road, they were staying to the left. I think I called, “to your left” almost continuously that last 20kms. This was a big safety hazard in my opinion -you had athletes cycling at 40+km/hr riding up from behind on athletes doing 20-25km/hr and attempting to pass on a very narrow shoulder.  When you are closing the distance that quickly even yelling "on your left" doesn’t really help much. The remainder of the bike was uneventful with the exception of getting cut-off by an SUV as I crossed Macleod Trail…thankfully my hands just happened to be on my brakes at that instant. I was happy to be off the bike at ~2:34 and I considered that not too bad for 96km and ~860m of elevation gain. The bike was probably only slightly easier than St George.

Run
Through transition, where I slipped on my Brooks Pure Connects (with Xentex laces compliments of Jonathan Kisiloski - I have to say I am now a Xentex fan), applied sunscreen and hit up the blue rocket. And then it was onto the run course, my favourite part of the race. I was aiming for 1:20 so about a 3:48/km pace. I started out a little faster for the first couple kilometers and then started to settle into my pace. At the first out and back I saw the 2nd place athlete, Simon Schaerz, and 3rd place athlete Jason Kincaid, and then a little later on the out and back Kyle. I rounded the out and back turn and quickly reeled in Kyle. Kyle told me that 3rd place was about 4:30 ahead. I knew 2nd place wasn’t much further because I had seen them both. I was pretty confident I had fourth in the books and thought I had a chance at reeling in 3rd and perhaps 2nd place. I finished the first loop and saw 40:13 on my watch and knew if I could hold my pace I’d be close to my goal. The kilometers clicked off quickly and thankfully the run course was well marked. I finally caught Jason at about 17kms and just hoped that he didn’t try and stay with me. I started the out and back and about 100m from the turn-around I saw Simon coming back the other way. I don’t think he knew I was coming. He started really picking up his pace. I had him down to about 100m at the start of the big hill and with about 2kms to go. He managed to open the gap a little on the hill and then I quickly started to close the gap down. As much as I tried he seemed to have more left and at the finish our delta was 9s. I was content with a 1:21 for the half-mary but the 1:20 and second place would have been nice. 
Heading out on my first loop. (#350 is doing the Olympic)
And for the awards, well I know I got 3rd Overall and 1st in the M30-39 Age group, but I have no clue what the awards are or how many dollars I get - I don't really care, it's really just a nice bonus that'll hopefully cover the race entry fee and maybe a couple extra dollars. (The total prize purse is $5600) We were told to stick around for the awards at 1300hrs which we did. Then at 1330hrs the awards started. They did most of the Olympic division awards and then stopped. When we inquired when the Half awards would be, they said later and after everyone was finished the race. They also said that they would find a way to get the awards to us if we didn’t stay. I went back later in the afternoon and helped tear down most of the finish/transition area and there was still one person out on the course and no awards. So I guess I’ll wait for a couple days and see if I get an e-mail from the RD. Least to say I was not impressed.  

Oh yah! It was a great training day and I got to meet Kyle Marcotte – a classy guy.
Post Race Picture with Kyle Marcotte


So will I be back to tackle the Chinook again...we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment