Friday 7 October 2016

IMWC 2016 - D-1

So today was the eve of the 2016 Ironman World Championship. I woke up early, had a coffee and then headed into Kailua-Kona for a swim. There weren't many athletes at the pier by 6 a.m., but Lance Watson was there - he was doing a video for Ironman. I chatted with him for a few minutes and then excused myself and did my 15min activation swim. Once that was done, I headed back to the condo to grab the bike and do a quick 30min ride on Ali'i drive followed by a 4km activation run.

Steven and Linda asked me to sign their poster so I obliged.


Claudia and I headed into town to meet up with Steven and Linda Banks for breakfast at Bongo Ben's. A bit of a long story here, but my dad and I met Steven and Linda Banks at Coeur d'Alene in 2012. Steven and Linda are from Washington State and we've stayed in touch through facebook since then. They have been a great encouragement over the past few years so it was great to spend some time with them. They made the trip to Hawaii this year so that they could volunteer.
Waiting in-line at check-in.

After our breakfast, Claudia and I headed back to the condo so I could pack my transition bags and finish the final touches on my bike.

The stealth steed Argon 18 E-118 is racked and ready to roll.
In the afternoon I checked in my Stealth Steed - Argon 18 E-118 and then it was time to relax with my feet up for the remainder of the afternoon and continue with the mental prep.

And so tomorrow is the big day, the Big Dance. Not sure what the Lord has in store, but I am ready to give my best.

And as the kids said, "Swim Strong, Bike Hard, Run Fast". That will be my motto for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment