Monday 25 January 2016

A Solid Week of Cycling in Tucson



Enjoying the fantastic weather in Tucson!
So following my marathon in Phoenix I figured I would take the opportunity to put in a solid week of base cycling in Tucson. Seeing as the objective of the week was to put in some Base cycling I elected to travel with my Argon 18 Gallium Pro. If I was in a build portion of my season then I would have probably opted for my Argon 18 E-118. Tucson is a fantastic area for cycling and it is where many Professional Triathletes and Cyclist spend a portion of their off-season. The coolest part of Tucson is there are cyclists literally everywhere. You could literally ride with a different group every day of the week.

I headed to Tucson on Monday afternoon and was thankful to be able to spend the week at Dave Woodruff’s pad.

My accomodations for the week! Tough Life!!!
Here is a quick run-down of the week.

Monday
Squaw Peak Climb with Jonathan Coffen (1:00)
Easy Swim at Oro Valley Aquatic Centre  (0:30)

Tuesday
No drop hill ride with Oro Valley Cycle + 2hrs of easy riding heading up towards Twin Peaks. (4:20)
Easy/steady Swim at Paloma Country Club (0:50)

Wednesday
Easy ride with Leo Carillo - Oro Valley to Saddlebrooke Community (1:50)
Fast swim at Oro Valley Aquatic Centre (1:00)
Steady ride out Tanque Verde to Redington Road (nice little hill climb with switch-backs at the end) (1:30)

Thursday
Mount Lemon Ride – Road from Dave’s to about mile 12 on the climb (3:00)
Easy 2km Swim at Paloma Country Club (0:35)
Another 3+hr ride to Pistol Hill and included a loop of Saguaro National Park – Cactus Trail Loop (3:20)

Friday
Gates Pass Ride (4:10)

Saturday
Twin Peaks with Dave W. (3:30) I was considering riding the “Shootout” all week but given how sore my legs were I wasn’t convinced I wanted to suffer through a hard ride. In retrospect the legs actually felt good for the first time all week.

Dave W on his way down from Twin Peaks.
Total trg for the week…
Swim – 4 swims, 9.8km, 3hr
Bike – 7 rides, 622km, 22hrs, 7,900m elevation gained (25,000ft)
Run - 0
Other – 1 x 1hr hike to Squaw Peak
Total 26hrs.

A special word of thanks to Dave Woodruff for opening up his home to this crazy Canuck.  And now it’s time to get back to the daily routine and the “normal” weekly schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment