Saturday 5 September 2015

Calling it quits for 2015!

Well it has been a bit of a roller coaster ride both mentally and physically the past few months and I have come to the realization that I just need a break. About a month and a half ago I was informed that I would be going to the field with my unit on exercise this fall. That sent me on a bit of a roller coaster ride mentally as I had my season geared to really peak at the end of September and into early October. I had planned to race the ITU Std Championships (Age Group) in Chicago, Superfrog 70.3 in Coronada, CA and finally the Draft Legal Triathlon at the CISM World Military Games in Korea. I had worked my butt off the past 12mths to prepare for the big challenge of making the CISM team and then getting the chance to represent Canada at those games. Additionally I had targetted Superfrog 70.3 as my A race of the year to obtain a Military Slot to Kona in 2016 (though I hadn't decided yet if I'd go back...but it's nice to have the option). So after that decision I simply just lost my mental edge. I resigned myself to racing until early Sep, enjoying the field exercise, and then regrouping and refocusing for 2016.



Well sometimes the body has other plans. About three weeks ago, the week prior to going to Kelowna I had some chest pain on my left side. I went to the Doctor and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. He prescribed some anti-inflamatories and recommended a little rest. The chest pain subsided and I thought I was all clear. While in Kelowna I felt the same chest pain but it felt distant so I wasn't overly concerned. Well this week it came back with a vengeance, but this time on the right side of the chest. I went back to the Doctor and the response was "well it's nothing that'll immediately kill you so let's wait it out a few days". The Doctor recommended not racing this weekend so I decided to wait it out. Well as of this morning its still very uncomfortable and becomes even more painful with exertion. So rather than risk it tomorrow at the Edm ITU Race (Std Distance) I figured it's best to heed the Doctor's advice and rest up.

So I guess that's it for this year. It's been a great year with lots of great results and a lot of firsts (Draft legal triathlon racing, CAT5 Racing, winning the M30-34 division at IM 70.3 Calgary, and of course being a Race Director). It's not how I would have scripted the year, but it's been a great learning exerperience all the same.

Thanks to my loving wife for putting up with my frustrations the last few months you are truly an amazing blessing.

Thanks to the great sponsors/supporters: Argon 18, Element Cycling & Multisport, Compressport Canada, and Z3ROD (Jonathan Kisiloski).

And of course thanks to my family, friends, and team mates for all the support!

Best of luck to the Cdn CISM Triathlon Team as they race in Korea! I'll be cheering you on from home.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joel,

    It is good to see how you are putting things in perspective and making decisions that are reflective of your priorities noted in your personal profile. We will uphold you in prayer for His understanding and grace to abound towards you.

    The Brainerd's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joel,

    this season as been long for racing and training. Adding everything else, family, work, etc. I think everyone else needs a break too. No one will blame you for making the difficult decision. I support you and we will see you next year. You probably will be stronger anyway.

    Good job on all your great performances this year and thank you alot of your mentiorship with the LD team.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joel,

    this season as been long for racing and training. Adding everything else, family, work, etc. I think everyone else needs a break too. No one will blame you for making the difficult decision. I support you and we will see you next year. You probably will be stronger anyway.

    Good job on all your great performances this year and thank you alot of your mentiorship with the LD team.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete