Monday 26 May 2014

CAF Running Championships!

So another edition of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) Running Championships is in the books and I was thankfully able to capture the Gold Medal in the Half-Marathon. My performance on the day was nothing stellar, however the observations you make from subpar performances are often those that truly shape you as an athlete. So to be perfectly honest you never know what to expect racing a week after an Ironman. Last year I did the same thing and managed to pull off a new PB of 1:13:42 at the half-marathon. This year I was only able to run a 1:17:13 which still placed me first in the CAF, 5th in M30-34 and 9th OA (out of 12,000 runners).

Heading to the finish!


The CAF Running Championships are always a great opportunity to meet new CAF runners, catch-up with old friends, and for me it's a great oppertunity to spend some time with the family. The national sports office always does a fantastic job setting up the event and the support from the crowds in Ottawa is always so positive towards the CAF runners. This year was no exception.
The Half-Marathon and Marathon crowd at CAF Champsionships!

I started the run right at the front and quickly settled into a ~3:30/km pace with about a group of ten other athletes. The pace felt comfortable from a fitness perspective, but muscularly my legs were a wreck. I felt the deep fatigue from having raced Ironman Texas eight days ago and I realized early that this run was going to be a mental battle. My right quad was extremely stiff and even the slightest hill made the quad feel as if it was going to seize up. A small gap started to open up and I knew I wouldn't be able to continue at that pace (despite knowing that is what I held last year). I let the lead group of ~six go. I had thoughts of just pulling the plug after a couple kms, but I knew the right choice was just continue at my best effort. Throughout the race I was able to draw strength from reminding myself of Philippians 4:13: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I was also thankful for the amazing support of the crowds and as I received that support I reminded myself that the CAF had lost one of our leaders LCol Daniel Bobbitt earlier in the week following a training accident: a tragic loss for our community.

Receiving the Gold Medal from BGen Pelletier, the CAF Patron of Running!

Onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment