Wednesday 10 October 2012

Kona Day 4

So today was a lighter day with only a single workout to accomplish. A 45 minute swim focusing on sighting and some drafting.

Workout #1 - Woke up at 0530hrs, had three eggs, a bagel with jam and a cup of Kona Coffee (this stuff is great) and then headed to the Kailua Pier for my workout. Dropped my bag off at the PowerBar check-in (yes that's right they actually secure your belongings while you swim, pretty sweet.) Just as I was about to hit the water, I saw Crowie (Craig Alexander) - he looks pretty fit - and is the men's favourite going into the race. Did an out and back on the swim catching a set of legs at the beginning and then again near the end. On the way back to shore I made a pit stop at the Coffee of Hawaii Catamaran and enjoyed an Espresso Coffee. (Yes you read that right again, there is a Catamaran sitting about 300m from shore serving hot fresh Kona Espresso!) Finished my workout, grabbed my gear and headed back to the Kona Coast Resort.

Spent the remainder of the morning with the family. We toured Greenwell Coffee Farm which was actually pretty neat. Though the name may not ring any bells, they are the producers of over 20% of all Kona Coffee. Of course we got to sample some of their coffees as well which was also a treat. Definately learned a lot about coffee during the short visit...if you are ever in Kona, this place is well worth checking out.

The kids picking coffee cherries.





Greenwell Coffee Farms Kitshop.
After lunch I did the athlete check-in thing. Lots of cool stuff in our bags, but it's the same backpack minus the labeling that I got at Couer d'Alene and St George...I thought they would have at least made them somewhat special. The check-in process here was like a well oiled machine. I probably spent a grand total of 5 minutes going through the check-in process. Everyone was super friendly and probably more importantly knew what they were doing. Then I had a look at the Ironman Souvenirs...lots of ways to spend a lot of money. For anyone that knows me, I'm not a big souvenir kinda guy but my vice is my Ironman mugs. So I picked up my souvenir, my mug, and a couple beach towels and then set off to survey the downtown for an hour.

Went back and picked up the wife and kids from the Resort and then enjoyed the Ironman World Championship Parade of Nations. It's a pretty neat affair. All the countries march down Ali'i drive holding their flag and handing out goodies. I got the honour of holding the Canadian Flag...pretty sweet! I guess it pays to show-up early.
The Canadian Contingent.

However, the highlight of my day was getting to meet Macca (Chris MacCormack) who won here in 2007 and 2010. He looks to be in top shape and should give Crowie a run for his money.
Macca and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment